Defence Force Recruiting
The Alternative Education Equivalency Scheme (AEES) is an alternative pathway for some Australian Defence Force candidates who donâ€™t have evidence of their educational achievements.
Do I need to complete the AEES tests?
You may sit this test if you:
- are eligible in all other areas, and
- do not possess evidence of the required education standard, or
- do not have the required education standard for a specific Defence Force Recruiting employment category, and
- are able to demonstrate two (2) years of relevant work / life experience and skills post completion of school
How to apply
If you are interested in joining the Australian Defence Force, visit the Defence Force Recruiting website or call 13 19 01.
As part of the recruitment process, Defence Force Recruiting will assess your education and determine if you need to complete the tests then book you into a test session. You can't book a test directly through VETASSESS.
Once you are booked into a test session, we will send you:
- Confirmation letter with the test session details
- Candidate Preparation Kit
- Candidate Voucher
- Practice Test for each test you are booked to sit
Click here for schedule of test sessions
Test Venue Locations
Click here for map of Australia and list of test venues
Examination locations too far away?
Candidates who live more than 100 kilometres away from the test venues shown may be eligible to complete the AEES tests within their local community.
Candidates who complete the AEES tests at a non-established venue (within their local community) must pay for any venue hire and supervisor costs.
If this applies to you, here is the Candidate Information we will send you once your booking has been made by Defence Force Recruiting.
Candidate preparation kit
Download the Candidate Preparation Kit for the year level of the tests you need to sit:
- Year 10 Candidate Preparation Kit (PDF - 481 Kb)
- Year 12 Candidate Preparation Kit (PDF - 562 Kb)
- Year 12 Candidate Preparation Kit: Advanced Mathematics supplement (PDF - 342 Kb)
If you are booked to sit either the Year 10 or Year 12 Advanced Mathematics test, download both the Candidate Preparation Kit and the Advanced Mathematics supplement.
Format of the AEES tests
You may be required to complete one or more tests at either Year 10 or Year 12 level and will generally be booked to complete the required tests at one test session.
|Tests||Time allowed||Year 10||Year 12|
multiple choice – reading, comprehension & language
English written expression task
(not applicable to Technical Trades)
|Advanced Mathematics - Year 10
|Advanced Mathematics - Year 12
30 minutes x 3 test components (1.5 hours in total)
11 items x 3 test components (33 items in total)
Types of questions in the tests
Below are the topics that are tested within each test.
- Reading & comprehension
- Language structure and use
- English written expression task
- Chance & data
- Reasoning & strategies
Year 10 Advanced Mathematics:
- Basic number skills
- Real numbers
- Ratio & proportion
- Patterns & algebra
- Linear & non-linear relationships
- Geometric reasoning
- Pythagoras & trigonometry
- Data representation & Interpretation
Year 12 Advanced Mathematics:
The questions in this test are based on the Year 12 New South Wales Mathematics 2 Unit curriculum. Click here to download the 'Year 12 New South Wales Mathematics 2/3 Unit Years 11-12 Syllabus' (Please refer to the '2 Unit' content only).
Further information, including HSC exam papers, is available from the 'Board of Studies New South Wales' website at: www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au.
The topic areas covered in the test are:
- Basic number skills and algebra
- Real functions
- Linear functions
- The quadratic polynomial and the parabola
- Plane geometry - geometrical properties
- Tangent to a curve and derivative of a function
- Coordinate methods in geometry
- Applications of geometrical properties
- Geometrical applications of differentiation
- Trigonometric functions (including applications of trigonometric ratios)
- Logarithmic and exponential functions
- Applications of calculus to the physical world
- Series and series applications
- Physics: balance, pressure, frequency, speed, force, reflection, circuits, efficiency, pulleys
- Chemistry: solubility, indicators, solids
- Biology: classify, populations, photosynthesis
- Environmental science: salinity, species
- Earth and space: humidity, planets
We suggest you access books from your local library or consider using a tutor from within your local community.
There are many relevant text books available across Australia that would provide suitable reference material for each test. Download a list of suggested text books:
- List of Year 10 reference materials (Word – 26.5Kb)
- List of Year 12 reference materials (Word – 44.0Kb)
These text books and many other relevant books not listed can be reviewed and ordered through the corresponding publisher website:
- Jacaranda Publishing
- Oxford University Press
- Pearson Heinemann (Australia)
- Haese & Harris Publications
- Cengage Learning Australia
- Macmillan Education Australia
There are some sample questions to help you prepare for each test but they do not necessarily cover the full range of topics or question difficulty.
A Practice test for each test you are booked to sit will be sent from VETASSESS with the Candidate Preparation Kit.
You can also download these Practice tests below:
- Year 10
- Year 12
- Year 12 English (PDF - 159 Kb)
- Year 12 English Written Expression Task (PDF - 81.2 Kb)
- Year 12 General Mathematics (PDF - 308 Kb)
- Year 12 Advanced Mathematics (Part A) (PDF - 498 Kb)
- Year 12 Advanced Mathematics (Part B) (PDF - 400 Kb)
- Year 12 Advanced Mathematics (Part C) (PDF - 611 Kb)
- Year 12 Science (PDF - 674 Kb)
If you are booked to sit the Year 12 Advanced Mathematics test, download all three Practice Test components (Part A, Part B & Part C).
Each Practice test has the same number of questions as the final test. For an accurate result, follow the instructions at the front of the Practice test and time yourself so it's similar to the final test conditions.
After you finish the Practice test, use the Answer Key provided to check your answers. The topics on the Answer Key can give you an indication of areas you can improve.
The score on the Practice test is an indication only of how you may perform on the final test.
The Practice test score cannot be used in place of sitting the final test.
Attending the test session
If you canâ€™t attend the test session, call Defence Force Recruiting on 13 19 02 or VETASSESS to cancel or change your booking. If you donâ€™t call and you donâ€™t attend the test session, it will count as one of your attempts.
When you arrive at the test venue on the day, you must register before the test session.
What to bring
On the day of the test, you must bring the following:
- Candidate Voucher (sent from VETASSESS)
- One form of photo identification (can include driver's licence, learner's permit, boat licence, passport, student ID card, employment ID card, proof of age card or other identification with a photograph that shows your full name)
If you do not have photographic identification, call VETASSESS on 03 9655 4849.
Please note: you will NOT be admitted to the test room without the above items
You will also need to bring:
- stationery: pens, 2B pencils, soft eraser, sharpener
- calculator: silent, battery-operated, non-programmable scientific calculator (for use in the Mathematics and Science tests only) Please note: mobile phones with calculator functionality and graphics calculators are not permitted
- ruler (for use in the Year 12 Advanced Mathematics test only)
- bottled water (recommended)
VETASSESS will report your results back to Defence Force Recruiting.
You need to contact Defence Force Recruiting on 13 19 02 for these results, as they will not be available through the test venue or VETASSESS.
Defence Force Recruiting will advise you of your results and the next steps in the process.
- View the test schedule
- Test venue locations
- Year 10 Candidate Preparation Kit
- Year 12 Candidate Preparation Kit
- Year 12 Candidate Preparation Kit: Advanced Mathematics supplement
- Preparing for the test
- Year 10 reference materials
- Year 12 reference materials
- Year 10 sample questions
- Year 12 sample questions
- Sitting the test
- Frequently Asked Questions